Did you know?:
If you are an employer with
employees in more than one state, you are a multistate employer.
Multistate employers must report their new hires electronically
Multistate employers have two(2) options for reporting their new hires:
Report newly hired employees to the state in which they are working. You must follow the specific new hire regulations of each state to which you will report. Click here for
information on other states' new hire reporting offices.
Select one state where you have employees working and electronically report all new hires to that state.
When you select Option 2, you are only required to follow the new hire regulations of the state you have chosen to receive your new hire reports. Selecting this method can save time and money for employers by consolidating their new hire reports and electronically submitting them to a single state.
If you choose Option 2 for reporting your new hires, you are required to notify the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as to which state you have designated to receive all of your new hire information. This is called "Multistate employer registration" and you can notify the Department in one of the following three ways:
- You can register as a "Multistate employer" using the Department's Web site: Office of Child Support Enforcement's Multistate Reporting Form.
- You may notify the Department of Health and Human Services using an optional form that can be
downloaded from the OCSE Web site.
You can also call (410) 277-9470 to request a copy of the form.
Once completed, the form can be faxed or mailed to the OCSE:
Department of Health and Human Services
Administration for Children and Families
Office of Child Support Enforcement
Multistate Employer Notification
P.O. Box 509
Randallstown, MD 21133
Fax: (410) 277-9325
- You may mail or fax a notification to the address listed above using your own letterhead or form, including all of the following information:
- Employer legal name
- Employer Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Employer address
- Employer phone number
- Employer contact name
- Employer contact phone number
- State to which employer will be reporting
- A list of all states in which you currently have employees
Multistate employers must electronically report the following information for each new hire:
- employee's name
- social security number
If you are reporting as a Multistate employer, you must also report the employee's state of hire.
- employer's name
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- indicate if you are reporting as a Multistate employer
If you have more than one FEIN, please be sure to use the same FEIN you use to report your quarterly wage information when reporting new hires.
Multistate new hire reports must be submitted electronically via our Web site, or as a file that adheres to our file submission layout specifications.
If you have any further questions please contact us.